In a major announcement, T-Mobile has revealed that it will be acquiring Ka’ena, the parent company of Mint Mobile, for up to $1.35 billion in cash and stocks. This move comes nearly three and a half years after Ryan Reynolds purchased Mint Mobile and became the face of the provider. Mint Mobile, which operates on T-Mobile’s network as a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), has gained success due to its charismatic pitch-man and budget-friendly prices.
Here is everything you need to know about this exciting development.
Table of Contents
The Purchase Agreement
T-Mobile’s purchase agreement with Ka’ena includes a final price that will depend on the company’s performance for a specified period before and after the transaction. The deal is expected to close later this year. Additionally, Ka’ena also owns Ultra Mobile, a provider focused on international calls.
Ryan Reynolds’ Stake in Mint Mobile
It is believed that Ryan Reynolds owns between 20 and 25% of Mint Mobile, according to a 2021 report by The New York Post. Despite the acquisition, Reynolds will remain in his creative role as Mint Mobile’s spokesperson. Mint was founded in 2015.
Mint Mobile’s Future
T-Mobile has announced that Mint Mobile and Ultra Mobile will complement each other’s existing prepaid services. Mint’s founders, David Glickman and Rizwan Kassim, will continue to manage the brands, which will function as a separate business unit. Meanwhile, T-Mobile hopes to leverage Mint’s marketing and Reynolds’ celebrity status.
“Mint has built a successful digital direct-to-consumer business that continues to deliver for customers on the Un-carrier’s top 5G network, and we’re excited to use our scale and resources to supercharge Mint and Ultra Mobile into the future,” said Mike Sievert, CEO of T-Mobile.
“In the long run, we’ll also benefit from applying the marketing formula that Mint has become famous for in multiple parts of T-Mobile.”
Reynolds has expressed his excitement about the acquisition, stating that “Mint Mobile is the best deal in wireless, and today’s news only makes our ability to deliver our customers even better.”
The acquisition of Mint Mobile by T-Mobile marks a significant development in the telecommunications industry. With Reynolds’ star power and Mint’s affordable prices, it is no surprise that T-Mobile is eager to take advantage of their marketing formula and scale. It will be interesting to see how this acquisition plays out and how it will impact the wireless market in the future.
- What is Mint Mobile? Mint Mobile is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) that operates on T-Mobile’s network and offers affordable prepaid plans.
- Who founded Mint Mobile? Mint Mobile was founded in 2015 by David Glickman and Rizwan Kassim.
- What is the final purchase price for Mint Mobile? The final purchase price for Mint Mobile will depend on Ka’ena’s performance for a specified period before and after the transaction, but it is expected to be up to $1.35 billion in cash and stocks.
- Will Ryan Reynolds continue to be Mint Mobile’s spokesperson? Despite the acquisition, Ryan Reynolds will remain in his creative role as Mint Mobile’s spokesperson.
- How will the acquisition impact Mint Mobile’s customers? T-Mobile has stated that Mint Mobile’s prepaid services will complement Ultra Mobile’s existing offerings, and both brands will function as separate business units.